road less traveled

hey, i just want to post this thing i did for my sociology class... a reaction paper... about a book i don't like... whew~! it's not actually a good reaction paper... but i'll just let you guys read it... bcoz there are some good points in my paper... and also an extra update for my almost 2 weeks unupdated blog... hay....

The Road Less Traveled

M. Scott Peck

The road less traveled, yes, by M. Scott Peck. I actually don’t know why I’m writing this reflection paper anyway, because I actually didn’t liked the book per se, but there are nice things I’ve learned from the book even though I haven’t finished reading it yet. The book was recommended by our sociology professor, Mr. Brillo during our first meetings, so I bought the book with the intention of reading it because our professor wants us to read it. When I read on the cover it was a best seller book, I found myself very curious about the book. At first, I thought it was a book about marriage since our topic in sociology is all about marriage. Well, it was not about marriage, well partly it is, but it’s about how to take and live "life" as how Scott Peck views life. Yes, it was about life, about love, values and tradition. In other words, it teaches how you should take life, since it simply gives you an idea about the "life" especially in the title that the life he’s referring to wasn’t traveled by most of us. Well, when I started to read the first chapters, I was disillusioned on how the book was written, it did not appeal to my taste. It isn’t the type of book that I read. Well, I have read several best seller books but this one is different. The format on how it was written intrigued me but it didn’t excite me at all. Well, I have to be honest. I really didn’t like the book because I’m more on fiction yet with moral type of books like "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho and this book I’m reading right now, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. When my mom saw that book in my room, he asked me if I’m done reading it, I said yes because I know she wanted to borrow it, and now, she have it.

Anyway, moving on…

"Life is difficult". That’s how Peck describes life in his book although it didn’t stop there. Yes, life is difficult yet he explained further the importance of the difficulties we experience in our daily life. He was like telling us that difficulties are good things, good things which we hate most of the time. Maybe his point is, based on my own experiences; difficulties can make a person grow. These difficulties are our mistakes and problems or obstacles we encounter in our everyday life. I actually love doing mistakes. Don’t get me wrong but those mistakes should be done only once. Mistakes make me grow and become a more mature person because it serves and gives me lessons through experiencing those mistakes and hardships.

He stated there that discipline is the basic tool we use to solve these difficulties. Discipline is always accompanied with love which is very evident in a parent-child relationship. This first experience of love and discipline comes from parents during our early childhood. Learning to discipline ourselves, to keep promises and to nurture what means the most to us, develops actions and words of love that create a safe, secure and predictable world around us. As I have said before, mistakes are good if they are done once and learned something from it. Maybe, his point of discipline as the basic tool to solve these mistakes and difficulties in life is that you should not let yourself stuck on those difficulties by experiencing it just once, and never doing the same mistakes again, and now we can call that discipline. Self-discipline is learned from our parents as children and lack of proper and appropriate parenting is the root of any and all troubles that cause difficulties in life. He’s pointing out that life can be really very difficult if parenting is inappropriate because discipline is not learned in lack of proper parenting. It is weird that, the first topic Peck focuses very much was on Discipline. However, without discipline, change can go unchecked and uncharted, growth can become problematic, and the human soul becomes susceptible to a host of difficulties. As we grow in discipline, love and life experiences, our understanding of the world grows, too. If we tend to define this world view too narrowly, we become harshly judgmental of others. This world view is always at the root of our problems in life, and a correction of that view is necessary for a cure. And since I only read the first few chapters of the book, this is all only about the first few chapters of the book that I’ve read.

Peck shows us that our avoidance of problems and their accompanying suffering are the root of mental illness. Running away from problems will soon hunt you and will never stop bothering you. Difficulties are a fact of life, and they never go away. By refusing to acknowledge and overcome them, we create a barrier to our spiritual growth which is also an important point of Dr. Peck in his book. Spiritual growth is the main point of Dr. Peck in his book. Discipline is just a foundation in achieving spiritual fulfill ness. Now it’s not weird why he began babbling about having discipline because it serves as one of the foundation for a better living, living in a spiritual life.

This book is a combination of psychology and spirituality. In this book, one thing that annoyed me was his apparent need to show off his extensive vocabulary. Yes, that's great that he went to school for years but the readers would understand the book well and easier if the words that are used are simple and commonly used words. This book tells us about life, reality; however he did not use or seldom based his writings on the scripture or based on the words of God yet it also does not shy to mention God and faith as part of human growth, well maybe because he’s a doctor so, it’s a factor that he really wouldn’t use much anything about the Bible; but he still had his point well presented and explained; and still morally and spiritually acceptable. The structure of the book is perfect; an English professor would love it. Dr. Peck states and supports his opinions very clearly and for the most part, he presents opposing points of view as well. This book is highly recommended to people who have reached a certain maturity level in mid-late adulthood because the things written in this book are more encountered by them, they will surely initiate a major transformation in their emotional and spiritual growth process. Since this book is a book about achieving a better life or achieving spiritual growth, it does not give steps to follow or quick fixes, but it gives ability to make sense of the world and to see life in a brighter way. It gives growth! And it even encourages seeing ourselves as a part of something bigger. To wrap everything up, this book is very clever because it explains every detail you need to know or every phrase which are sometimes hard to understand. Even though this book doesn’t show or attracts my interest, I can say that it is a book worth keeping and worth reading over and over again which can be an instrument or can be used as an inspiration in everyday life. Though I haven’t read the whole book yet, I’m still planning to finish the book to experience the whole "road less traveled".

This book or let me say, Dr. Peck illuminates how living the truth in the open allows one to become free from fear. One must strive to recognize when it is advantageous to withhold the truthful expression of opinions, feelings, ideas and knowledge to the benefit of intimate relationships.

To truly be dedicated to solving the problems one faces in life, one must be willing to experience pain and make changes that might seem frightening. When one clings to old ways or views, they face the probability of mental illness and pain and failure to negotiate any crisis or personal transition of mental or spiritual growth. Suffering through such changes enables one to reach a higher level of self-understanding.

1 remark(s):

yawmee said...

hehe.. inaral namin yan for theology. galing noh? wala lang...

Post a Comment

Comment away!