Hierarchy of Needs

I’ve been coughing; productively and sometimes “dry” ever since I was hospitalized due to “systemic viral infection”. Up until now, my cough is still apparently productive. My mom advised me to visit the university’s health center and so last Wednesday, after my exam in Parasitology, I went to see a doctor with some friends who also felt the need of some medical opinions and advices. My cough’s already considered as chronic cough because I was coughing and spitting sputum for more than 2 weeks already, and I am afraid it’s TB. I was interviewed by a nurse, vital signs were taken, and was asked to go to cubicle 4. I was greeted by the doctor with...

“Are you a nursing student?”

I was like…

“No? I am a medical student…”

I was budging my body to let her see my plate. Just because I was wearing all white (except for my shoes of course) and everybody’s (even physicians) taking up nursing doesn't mean I am also a nursing student... I am not like them; I am different, something more special… Kidding. I just made that up.

“Oh! I’m sorry. Do you know who postulated the Hierarchy of Needs?”

“Ahm, No?”

“Oh well, never mind”

I think a nursing student can answer her and I don’t think that they teach the “needs hierarchy” in med school. I was asked by the doctor to come and visit her again the following day with my x-ray plate from the hospital where I was confined. She also wants my CBC. So after consulting, I had my blood extracted and went straight to World Citi to take my chest film.

When I got home, I was a little bothered not knowing what was that “hierarchy” all about. She was a doctor and she knows or have heard about the “hierarchy”, so I think I should know it too, and I don’t! What is it all about anyway? I searched for the Hierarchy of Needs anywhere possible; med books and of course the net, I was really curious. I think I should know that particular theory. I felt the need of knowing it!

When I came back to the clinic just a while ago, I told her that the theory was by Abraham Maslow.

She was like...

“Really?”

Then she asked me further what are the needs while drawing a pyramid in her pad.

“All I can remember is the base, which is Physiological. Love and Safety I am not sure what parts of the pyramid they are located.”

“Esteem and Self-actualization are on top”

“Owell”, I said to myself…

She prescribed amoxicillin and a drug combination of salbutamol and guaifenesin.

So now for those who doesn’t know anything about the hierarchy I am talking about, read further…

800px-Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs.svg

Heirarchy of Needs was postulated by Abraham Maslow. This topic as I have discovered is under psychology or even possibly under psychiatry, but we haven't tackled it (yet?). These needs are depicted by a pyramid with 5 levels namely physiological, safety, love, esteem and self-actualization starting from the base going up. The 4 needs below are considered by Maslow as Deficiency Needs (D-needs). The base area is composed of things considered as the first things people need and must be satisfied in order to move up to the second needs. A person cannot move up if a deficiency from the lower levels is not satisfied. So for example, a man who lacks his basic needs like food and water (at the physiological needs) cannot move up to be in the safety needs and consider himself as safe, eryt?

So let's tackle each needs one by one.

Physiological needs are the most basic needs that are vital to survival, including the need for water, air, food, and sleep. These are known as the instinctive needs and the most basic needs because all the other needs are above it and higher needs will not be attained unless the physiological needs are met. 

Security needs are important for survival, but they are not as demanding as the physiological needs. Examples of security needs include a desire for steady employment, health insurance, safe neighborhoods, and shelter from the environment.

Love/Belonging AKA Social needs include needs for belonging, love, and affection. Maslow considered these needs to be less basic than physiological and security needs. Why? Because a man should satisfy first himself before getting involved with others. Relationships such as friendships, romantic attachments, and families help fulfill this need for companionship and acceptance, as does involvement in social, community, or religious groups.

Esteem needs include the need for things that reflect on self-esteem, personal worth, social recognition, and accomplishment. A person according to Maslow cannot actually have self-esteem when the 3 needs below aren’t met.

Self-actualization is the highest level of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. Self-actualizing people are self-aware, concerned with personal growth, less concerned with the opinions of others, and interested fulfilling their potential. In other words, when you reach this stage, you are in a sublime state. This is also known as the Being Needs (B-needs).

The main point of Maslow here, I guess is to emphasize and let people know the importance of the top level which is the self-actualization, which is a process of growing and developing as a person to achieve individual potential.

11 remark(s):

Cams said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cams said...

shame on u! hahahaha..:p i think iv come across that a couple times already... psych 1 yata n neuropsych.. what made her ask u that naman... nurse ba nagtanong? hm maybe u lack nurturing or some social needs..:P schizoid ka kasi! onga noh bka kaya tau nagkasakit tatlo.. tsk tsk:p hows ur lola?

dak said...

i can't remember this really! baka hindi ako pumasok nun, hahaha... psych kaya madalas mag-cut mga tao... hahaha... she was the doctor... she asked me if i am a nursing student probably because maybe nurses know the answer. hahaha...

i have social life naman ah... dating but not exclusively... hahaha...

my granny? she had CT-scan today, results tomorrow, i dunno when she will be discharged. they think she had a mild stroke... owell...

Jun said...

oh wow. the phrase "heirarchy of needs" didn't even ring a bell until u mentioned abraham maslow. geez. wat did i learn five yrs ago in college? nothin. wud i remember wat i learnt this yr in five yrs' time? *scary thought*

so how's the cough now? better i suppose? :)

dak said...

@ jun:

better? iont know... took my first dose just a while ago.

i wish im better now, health and school. i performed badly in my exams...

owell...

are you still on vacation? you keep on posting fun vacation experiences...

redpl8 said...

oh, yeah. the hierarchy of needs. since i am a psych major, i received/heard enough discussions about this and so much more.


sana maging almost m.d na din ako tulad mo. galingan mo all the way!


thanks for droppin by my blog

Karen said...

well, to tell you, the hierarchy's pretty helpful (maybe in our field - ya, nursing).

it might come in handy for you one of these days. at least, it did for me.

carry on! :)

Camille said...

ei ive just observed.. is sex really included in the physiological needs??? hm.. i find it questionable. do we really need that to survive? is it comparable to breathing, food and water...? y because its instinctive? hm.. i just dont consider sex to be as equally important. what about the priests and the nuns? what bout those who chose the vow of celibacy? haha.. lalang.. just a thought. :D

dak said...

i think yes, sex is an integral part of our life. people who are married live longer eryt? maybe that's another implication why sex is a healthy thing; which then can promote you to the next level which is safety level. then intimacy and family which is at level 3 is still related to sex. people who doesn't have sex life like the priests makes me wonder how they practice celibacy because they are still sexual beings. owell, i look at it this way, since priests cannot have sex, they cannot go up via sex like having intimacy (intimate relationship) with others and having their own family. makes sense i think... hehehe...

Camille said...

haha anu??? lagot ka.. hm.. maybe the creator of the diagram included sex bec its how we propagate the species? haha.. i still think that sex shouldnt be categorized alone.. it should be under marriage or relationships so it should be under social... haha.. i dont see anything wrong with people who dont get enough of it.. they are still able to breathe... look at the monks,nuns and priests.. dhalai lama for example..btw is he single??? also whattabout mother teresa??? she spent her life well didnt she?? oh how can that be explained?? :D

dak said...

owell, a lot of people doesn't think also that the hierarchy of needs is an absolute thing. some said that many people can reach self-actualization even if the lower levels aren't really met.

i dunno, but i still think sex is under basic because it's a physiological thing eryt?

or sex may mean sexuality? hehehe... you must know your sexuality first eryt before going up? LOL.

Post a Comment

Comment away!