Capeside Story

Bored of Meredith? Can't relate to their medical dramas in the OR? Tired of watching them have sex in stock rooms, e?

Then drop it.

I did.

I am almost done with DC (Dawson's Creek). I know I am such an emo. I watch it and I love it.

0000001210_20060919144316

I have this sensitive side of me sometimes, you can call me histrionic now.

When I was in HS, I watch DC, not as religiously as watching every episode of it but only if I remember its TV schedule. As a growing teenager, I learned a lot from it, at least in the episodes I watched. I don't care how people and critics would rail against it, because there's something behind those skeezy scripts that would tell its viewers something good, something about how great life can be.

I remember how it was labeled as "promoting to teenagers to sleep and have sex with their friends".

Yes, sleeping happens in a lot of the scenes but it's not the whole point of the story. We see there how this group of growing individuals face certain "common" problems and solve them maturely. We see them learn, we see them transcend from certain naive individuals to sophistication.

These "common" problems we also encountered during our teenage years and even up to now are still the problems our younger generations encounter.

They show and experienced relationship, sex, family, drugs, school and identity problems. Even medical problems which affects us in our daily activities. You can find these all in the series.

Since it was an old (not too old) TV series, it's really hard to get copies of all the episodes, not even in the world of free Internet unless you buy them online and have them shipped in front of your door.

Some years back, I had the chance to have the first 3 seasons. When I went to the US, I bought the last 3 seasons and the special last season finale. It's expensive but luckily I found some used but still in good quality DVD copies.

Now I am on its last season. It's really a cool experience. It's like walking with these bunch of teenagers going through their lives and being a part of them. I got to know each character's personality and uniqueness, their diversity of thoughts and personality and how these diversities make them intact and close to each other despite all the chaos they encounter.

I am very excited however to see the final episode. I saw it on TV before and it made me cry. I am not really a maudlin when it comes to melodrama series but it really broke my heart, Jen Lindley broke my heart.

Jen Lindley actually died, if you don't know it yet. She has cervical malignancy. She chose to bear her baby and let Jack her bestfriend adopt her kid. Before she died, she left a message to her child via Dawson's video camera. The message is very short but outstanding. For me, it would actually summarize the whole story, she summarized what we should have learned from watching DC. Here's the message:

Hi, Amy, it's mom. Well, by the time you see this, I won't be here anymore, and I know how much that sucks, for both of us. So seeing as how I won't be around to thoroughly annoy you, I thought I would give you a little list of the things that I wish for you. Well, there's the obvious. An education. Family. Friends. And a life that is full of the unexpected. Be sure to make mistakes. Make a lot of them, because there's no better way to learn and to grow, all right? And, um, I want you to spend a lot of time at the ocean, because the ocean forces you to dream, and I insist that you, my girl, be a dreamer. God. I've never really believed in God. In fact, I've spent a lot of time and energy trying to disprove that god exists. But I hope that you are able to believe in god, because the thing that I've come to realize, sweetheart... is that it just doesn't matter if god exists or not. The important thing is for you to believe in something, because I promise you that that belief will keep you warm at night, and I want you to feel safe always. And then there's love. I want you to love to the tips of your fingers, and when you find that love, wherever you find it, whoever you choose, don't run away from it. But you don't have to chase after it either. You just be patient, and it'll come to you, I promise, and when you least expect it, like you, like spending the best year of my life with the sweetest and the smartest and the most beautiful baby girl in the world. You don't be afraid, sweetheart. And remember, to love is to live.

-Jen's Goodbye Speech

Dawson's Creek Season 6 Finale, Must come to an end (2003)

Oh I was able to get a clip of the above scene via the famous YouTube. Here it is:

So, there I let out one of my biggest secrets. I watch Dawson's Creek. So what? I can watch it over and over again. I was surprised that a lot of people actually watch and love it too, I was surprised, and I would like to recommend it to you if you haven't.

These teenagers aren't bored with their lives, they are reflections of our lives.

***

Picture was taken from TV.com

Video was taken from Brumland83

2 remark(s):

Monique ♥ said...

Wee, I'm once a DC fanatic too. Way back elementary and HS, Shane West is my crush back then. LMAO. I'm watching Grey's Ana too, House M.D., Private practice. :) So your on Med field?

Camille said...

pahiram ako ng dvd

Post a Comment

Comment away!