I want to be Free

I was watching Breakfast at Tiffany's a while ago...

Paul Varjak: I love you.
Holly Golightly: So what.
Paul Varjak: So what? So plenty! I love you, you belong to me!
Holly Golightly: [tearfully] No. People don't belong to people.
Paul Varjak: Of course they do!
Holly Golightly: I'll never let ANYBODY put me in a cage.
Paul Varjak: I don't want to put you in a cage, I want to love you!

[now insert the Moon River song]

This life is sooo rich and full of fun! And I am living life as it is. A lot of people say that it's nice to be single because you're free. Living life with the assortments of freedom; from responsibilities, time, etc; you can do a lot of things with your own limitations and enjoy life on your own. When you commit yourself to someone, there's this notion that you are already letting yourself attached and your life depends on how that person "dictates" your life. It's like that person narrows your horizon and puts you in a cage and controls your every movement.

However, this movie made me realize that loving another person is not letting that person put us in a cage. It's been a while since my last romantic relationship and I think I am just afraid of taking another shot. I am like Holly,

I am chicken, I've got no guts. I am afraid to stick out my chin and say, "Okay, life's a fact, people do fall in love, people do belong to each other, because that's the only chance anybody's got for real happiness." I call myself a free spirit, a "wild thing," and I am terrified somebody's gonna stick me in a cage. Well I am already in a cage. I built it myself. And it's not bounded in the places I've been to. It's wherever I go. Because no matter where I run, I just end up running into myself.

I got no name, like Holly's cat. A poor slob without a name. I don't know myself.

Thanks Truman Capote and Blake Edwards, and to the casts for this charming movie who tickled my heart, filled it with emotions and opened up greater thoughts and possibilities.

8 remark(s):

wanderingcommuter said...

sobarng napaisip ako sa post na ito ha... hmmmm...

RONeiluke, RN said...

dahil sa post mong ito, maghahanap ako ng kopya!

masarap maging single but when you're in a HEALTHY realationship, it promotes mutual growth. you may be in a relationship but can still do whatever you want and grow as a person...

we are all chickens, aren't we? hehehe! cool post!

Chyng said...

i likey the conversation! (--,)

tagabukid said...

waaah getting misty watching tiffany? eeewww...

pero wag ka patulog ako last night when noel cabangon's nag-iisa, wala ka na suddenly sprung to life in my ears (i sleep with the earpiece on hehe ooops, walang kokontra). i was not aware me ganung song pala ako sa ipodtouch ko until i heard it last night. kaya yon yakap na lang sa unan habang naka-repeat mode hehe. affected din pala!

Jun said...

sigh. simple yet beautiful conception of wat love shud be. i've been putting off reading "breakfast at tiffany's" for a while. think it's time i pick it up :)

Chyng said...

hello online buddy!

i just saw your gallery of fave books. 11minutes is my favorite too!

my-so-called-Quest said...

doc! hmmmm....

usap na lang tayo!=]

ur_prince said...

Yup! Nikon is much better than Canon.. well for my opinion. Mas vibrant and detailed ang shots from Nikon. Yung model kasi nung sken eh D60 so mas cheaper sya compare sa New models ng Canon.
Nwei Visit my multiply at
http://aztigako.multiply.com

Post a Comment

Comment away!