My Ondoy Experience

The night before typhoon Ondoy hit Manila, me and my friends were in Makati watching a movie. Before we got inside the theater at around 11PM, the rain was already pouring to its craziness.


We were in awe when after the movie, the rain was still pouring like there’s no tomorrow; getting stronger; it won’t stop. As I drove my way back home to QC hitting the strip of EDSA, the rain did not fail to stop instead became even stronger and stronger. I already noticed several accumulations of water in some parts of EDSA causing the slow-movement of traffic.


When I got home, I was too tired, I immediately hit the bed.

I woke up at around 6:30AM to work, still raining. I knoe, right? I was late. Still, I managed to check the weather in PAGASA and Yahoo Weather that said it will rain heavily with tropical storms the entire day. I checked for for cancellation of classes but I wasn’t able to find any.

So I went to work.

When working in a busy place like the hospital, we care less on what’s currently happening outside. That being said, we were unaware of the impending flood that’s about to happen.


Not until upon crossing the bridge connecting the Clinical Division Hospital and the Pay Hospital that I saw the immediate rise of the water inside the campus.


I called one of my friends,

Where are you?

I am already at home, they already announced a skeleton duty.

What?! We didn’t hear that announcement.

Finally, one of our residents told us to go home already; a late announcement.

People were piled up in the hospital entrance when we were about to leave. Flood was already knee-high. People won’t disperse. We felt helpless and hopeless. At that time, I thought we will be stranded in the hospital.

But we really wanted to go home. We don’t want to be stuck in the hospital especially in an Ophthalmology rotation. There’s nothing much to do. Our last resort was to walk through the flood.

Luckily, one of our interns was there with her very reliable Starex van. We found out that we actually live in the same street and she offered us a ride. She’s so generous.

So there, I was spared in wetting my feet with flood waters. But no! Not until we reach the front building of our apartment. We didn’t have a choice but to get out of the van, dip our feet in the water and walk until we reach 1162. Gawd, it was really disgusting. But what can we do. eryt?

Initally, we felt safe. But the rain continued. It didn’t fail to stop. And the water just kept rising. We got scared. Few more steps then it’s game over. Our unit is located in the first floor so, we were scared our building would be invaded by the flood.


So we decided to stay in my friend’s unit in the third floor.



The rain cannot be stopped. Our cars parked in front of our building started to sink. We cannot do anything. I just hoped and prayed, the cars would eventually start after the flood.

We were watching TV for news updates and some cool TV shows to entertain us, until I finally drowsed myself off. Then…


They cut off the electricity. Our batteries started to drain and we can’t cook! We also can’t find someone to deliver us food. So there, we did not eat dinner and decided to sleep our hungry stomachs off in a very sweaty night.

The following day, my cellphone batteries were already drained. For sure, my family and friends were trying to reach me; and worried cos I am nowhere to be contacted. There’s also none to eat, I went back to our unit and surprisingly, everything’s dry and clean just as how we left it last night. I prepared my cereals. I was sooo famished.

I decided to go home to QC despite the unsafe status of the Metro to travel. Luckily, car didn’t disappoint me. It worked fine, but the breaks were just too weak to handle.


It was a horrible experience. I knoe a lot of people suffered worse than what I had.

I am safe, thank God. Thanks to those who helped us get through the flood and to those who cared and remembered (It always flood around the UST, hehehe…); to those who texted and called, to those who checked if I am ok.

I am safe. Now, it’s my turn to make sure others are safe and ok.

With over 200 deaths already, I hope this will soon be over.

*See you at Citizens' Disaster Response Network in West Triangle!

1 remark(s):

Chyng said...

Everybody has a story to tell talaga. Glad you're ok. How's your car btw?

Post a Comment

Comment away!